Larkspur: The July Birth Flower with a Rich History and Symbolic Meanings
July babies, did you know that your birth flower is the larkspur? Not only is this flower visually stunning, but it also has a rich history and symbolic meanings.
Larkspur has been used for medicinal purposes and in folklore for centuries. Its delicate petals and vibrant colours have also made it a popular choice for bouquets and floral arrangements.
In this article, we’ll explore the fascinating history and symbolism behind the larkspur, as well as how you can incorporate it into your life and celebrations.
Flowers have been used throughout history to symbolize emotions and communicate messages. In many cultures, birth flowers are associated with each month and are believed to hold special significance for individuals born during that time. July’s birth flower is the larkspur, a beautiful and delicate flower with a rich history and symbolism.
In this article, we will explore the history of larkspur as a birth flower, the different types and colours of larkspur, its symbolic meanings, how to use it in floral arrangements, and how to care for it to keep it fresh and long-lasting.
Larkspur: History As A Birth Flower
The concept of birth flowers dates back to ancient times when the Greeks and Romans believed that each month was associated with a specific flower. This idea was popularized during the Victorian era when flowers became an important means of communication and were used to convey messages of love, friendship, and other emotions. Larkspur has been associated with July since ancient times, when it was believed to have been created by the god Jupiter. In Greek mythology, larkspur was believed to have grown from the tears of the goddess Venus, who wept over the death of Adonis. During the Middle Ages, larkspur was considered a medicinal plant and was used to treat a wide range of ailments, including fever and poisoning. In the language of flowers, larkspur was associated with fickleness and haughtiness, but also with happiness and love.
In addition to larkspur, other flowers associated with July include water lilies, delphiniums, and irises. These flowers are also associated with different special meanings and symbolism and can be used in a variety of ways to express different emotions.
Types of Larkspur Flowers
Larkspur flowers are part of the Delphinium family and are known for their tall, slender stems and delicate petals. They come in a range of vibrant colours, including blue, purple, pink, white, and red, and are often used in floral arrangements to add height and texture. There are many different varieties of larkspur, including the Pacific Giant, which can grow up to six feet tall, and the Magic Fountains, which have large, dense clusters of beautiful flowers. Other popular varieties include King Arthur, Black Knight, and Galahad.
The colours of larkspur flowers are often associated with different meanings and symbolism. Blue larkspur, for example, is associated with tranquillity and calmness, while pink larkspur is associated with love and romance. White larkspur is often used in bridal bouquets and is associated with purity and innocence, while red larkspur is associated with passion and strength.
Symbolic Meanings of Larkspur
Larkspur has a rich history and cultural significance dating back to ancient times. The plant was highly valued in ancient Greek mythology, where it was believed to have grown from the tears of the goddess Aphrodite, shed when her lover, Adonis, died. In the Middle Ages, larkspur was used in medicinal remedies and thought to have protective powers against witches and evil spirits. It was also a popular ingredient in love potions and was believed to bring luck and prosperity.
Today, larkspur is commonly associated with the month of July, and it is often given as a perfect gift to those born during this month. The flower’s most common symbolic meanings include:
- Positivity and Happiness: Larkspur is believed to represent positivity and happiness, making it a popular choice for celebratory occasions.
- Fickleness and Changeability: Larkspur’s delicate petals and tendency to wilt quickly have led to the flower being associated with fickleness and changeability. In some cultures, it is even considered bad luck to include larkspur in a bridal bouquet, as it is believed to foretell an unhappy marriage.
- Lightness and Levity: The delicate, airy appearance of larkspur flowers also gives them a symbolic association with lightness and levity, making them a popular choice for summer weddings and events.
- Remembrance: In some cultures, larkspur is associated with remembrance, and the flower is often included in funeral wreaths and other arrangements.
When choosing larkspur for a floral arrangement, it’s important to consider the flower’s symbolism and the occasion for which it will be used. For example, if you’re creating a bouquet for a summer wedding, you might choose larkspur in shades of white or pastel colours to represent lightness and levity. On the other hand, if you’re creating a sympathy arrangement, you might choose larkspur in shades of blue or purple to represent remembrance.
Using Larkspur in Floral Arrangements
Larkspur is a versatile fresh flower that can be used in various floral arrangements. Whether it’s a simple bouquet or an elaborate centrepiece, larkspur can add a touch of elegance and sophistication to any arrangement. Here are some tips for incorporating larkspur into your floral arrangements:
- Use larkspur as a focal point: Larkspur’s tall spikes make it an excellent focal point in an arrangement. Use it as the tallest flower in the arrangement, and let its height and beauty steal the show.
- Mix larkspur with other flowers: Larkspur blends well with other flowers, particularly those that have a similar bloom time, such as delphiniums, snapdragons, and daisies. Mix and match colours and textures to create a unique and eye-catching arrangement.
- Vary the height of the larkspur: Larkspur comes in different heights, so use this to your advantage by varying the height of the flowers in the arrangement. This will create a more dynamic and interesting arrangement.
- Combine larkspur with greenery: Adding greenery to an arrangement can help to fill in any gaps and create a more cohesive look. Use foliage such as eucalyptus, ferns, or ivy to complement the larkspur.
Larkspur can be combined with different flowers to create a unique look and feel for different occasions. Here are some ideas for combinations:
- Romantic occasions: Combine larkspur with roses, peonies, and hydrangeas for a romantic and elegant bouquet or centrepiece.
- Summer weddings: Larkspur pairs well with other summer flowers such as sunflowers, zinnias, and dahlias to create a bright and cheerful arrangement.
- Sympathy arrangements: Larkspur’s soft colours and delicate appearance make it a popular choice for sympathy arrangements. Pair it with other flowers such as lilies and roses for a classic and timeless look.
- Larkspur bouquet: Create a beautiful bouquet using larkspur as the main flower. Combine different colours and varieties of larkspur for a stunning effect. You can add other flowers and greenery to create a more complex bouquet.
- Larkspur centrepiece: Use larkspur as the focal point in a centrepiece for a special event or dinner party. Combine larkspur with other flowers and greenery, and add candles or other decorative elements for a beautiful and elegant centrepiece.
- Larkspur hair accessory: Use larkspur to create a beautiful hair accessory for a special occasion. You can use fresh or dried larkspur to create a flower crown, hair clip, or another hair accessory.
Larkspur is a beautiful flower with a rich history and meaningful symbolism, and as the birth flower for July, it holds a special significance for those born in that month. Larkspur is a well-liked flower for special events like weddings and birthdays because it has a long history of being connected to love, devotion, and positivity. It is a versatile flower that can be used in numerous different ways in floral arrangements thanks to its lovely colours and distinctive form. If you’re planning to use larkspur in your next floral arrangement, be sure to choose a variety that suits your needs and consider its symbolism when creating your design. Larkspur is a wonderful flower that deserves to be celebrated and enjoyed, whether you’re celebrating a July birthday or simply looking for a beautiful and meaningful flower to add to your floral arrangements.